Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:53:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        luvbeasie@larseighner.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What dialup modem WILL work with 8.x and uart?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> Even 'sio' support of "PCI serial ports" and/or modems was -very-limitid.
> precisely *two* models of cards -- The 3Com FaxModem PCI and the Advantec
> 56k Voice Messaging PCI FaxModem.

That's why I sprang for the 3Com which WAS supported by sio for years and is
NOT supported by uart since 8.x.  Why it is this device could be supported
for so many years, but somehow it is impossible on 8.x? It's not as if
dozens of new such devices from dozens of new vendors are flooding the
market.  It's the same thing it ever was.

> Supporting serial controllers across a PCI bridge takes lots of work. and
> does *not* 'generalize' well.
>
> If I were in your situation, I'e look at a USB serial port and external
> RS-232 modem.

I'll look at anything, but if I have to buy something, I want to know it is
actually IS working with uart, not that sort of should've.  Uart should've
sort of been a "drop-in replacement" for sio - "drop-in repIacement" were
the exact words used when I asked about it the first time I heard sio was
being dropped and was assured uart would be a "drop-in replacement." But it
is not, so theoretical "ought to work"s are not helpful. I'm looking for
really actually does work.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html