Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:28:44 -0300
From:      Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: man bzip2 - suggest we add to See Also

Resending the answer to hackers@ with my subscribed mail address.

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> writes:

> I suggest we should add a See Also section to man bzip2,
>
> 	FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE & current man bzip2
> 		.../-current/src/contrib/bzip2/bzip2.1
>
> adding URLs
> 	http://www.7-zip.org/download.html	->
> 	http://www.freshports.org/archivers/p7zip/
>
> as currently no reference is made to 7zip or 7-zip
>
> Quote from: http://www.minix3.org/download/
> 	The best known lossless compression algorithm is implemented
> 	in the bzip2 program. It also has extremely fast decompression.
> 	The popular 7zip archiver for Windows supports it too.

Speaking with my p7zip maintainer hat on, I don't have anything to add
to the proposal (any kind of change wouldn't involve that port anyway).

As a user, though, I don't really see this being really necessary (dunno
if there's some documentation policy with regards to recommending ports
software in a base man page). 7zip itself is a Windows program, p7zip is
done by a guy who looks at the 7zip code after it's released and tunes
it to run on Unix.

In the end, it's Julian's call IMO.