Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:14:51 +0200
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposition to make nvidia driver stop overwritting files

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:00:12AM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 04:20:51AM +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > Thanks for not touching 8.x.  This is probably the last known branch
> that
> > > currently more or less reliably works (the trend was broken
> Januaryish).
> >
> > It seems that this statement makes a carte blanche to claim that current
> > situation with nvidia driver port just demonstrates complete lack of
> > care from the maintainer, for quite lot a time?
>
> If by "complete lack of care" you mean having fully working four branches
> of
> the driver accurately covering broad range of FreeBSD source base, then I'd
> have to say yes, but are we talking in the same language?  All I was saying
> that there is a sad tendency that X+1 branch will less likely work than X
> on
> the same hardware.
>
> > > Include-dances in libmap.conf are standard way in freenix world to
> solve
> > > problems like this one, but right now I see this scenario happening on
> > > developer's box rather that on user's.  User would probably just want
> > > single libGL+friends implementation that best suits his/her gfx card.
> >
> > So you completely ignore/do not care about users of hybrid machines.
> > Nice.
>
> No, just didn't think about it.  Good point, thanks for bringing it up.
>  Now
> it's pretty clear that we need more complicated, but more functional
> solution.
>
> ./danfe

What happend with this proposal? I liked the idea with libmap.conf.

There is one more reason to have the possibility to have several different
drivers installed: Consider someone trying to setup a common base system
that will be used on several different types machines. Seems a bit much to
require different images just for different drivers.

Best regards
Andreas