Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2014 04:25:57 +0400
From:      Ivan Rokotov <ivan.rokotov.bsd@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/Resume on Lenovo IdeaPad S400 with FreeBSD 10?

> Try using vt(4) instead of syscons(4) and kldload'ing i915kms from
> text mode.  See if you can resume on the console.  That has worked for
> several ThinkPads, though resume always worked fine for me in X even
> with syscons(4) when using i915kms.

Hi John,

I tried this system:
FreeBSD ... 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r263927: Sun Mar 30
08:08:04 UTC 2014     root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VT
amd64

and the results are as follows:

With
* hw.vga.textmode=1
* acpi_video.ko loaded
* hw.acpi.reset_video=1
suspend/resume works from console.

With
* hw.vga.textmode=0
* acpi_video loaded
* hw.acpi.reset_video=1
after resume just backlight turns on. I had to press some key to get
the picture back. Anyway, it works.

With
* hw.vga.textmode=0
* i915kms.ko loaded from console (no X installed at all)
* acpi_video loaded
* hw.acpi.reset_video=1
suspend/resume works, with these log messages:
info: [drm] Enabling RC6 states: RC6 off, RC6p off, RC6pp off
error: [drm:pid1361:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for
panel to power off
but this is harmless (I hope so).

This is, of course, very promising. However, I wouldn't like to run
11-CURRENT on my everyday notebook. So, before I proceed to testing a
real X environment on 11-CURRENT, may I ask you: will vt(4) compile on
10.0-RELEASE? If not, may we expect to see vt(4) in e.g. 10.1, or it
is an exclusively 11-only feature?

Thank you for your help!

Ivan