Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:44:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: EISA in GENERIC

On Apr 15, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Steve Kargl =
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 02:50:14PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>>=20
>> The time has come to trim EISA from the generic i386 kernel.
>>=20
>> Please see http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/patch-queue/eisa for
>> the proposed change. It introduces a MK_EISA too so one can
>> control building the eisa-only modules as well as the eisa =
attachments
>> in modules.
>>=20
>> There are those that say it is time to vote EISA off the island. =
Perhaps,
>> but that?s a completely different discussion than the one I?m wanting
>> to have now. The normal way that should be done is to remove it in 12
>> after disabling it in 11.
>>=20
>=20
> No problem with intent of patch.
>=20
> Do you need to make any changes for bt(4)?  My first foray into
> EISA used at Buslogic BT-742A.  'man bt' does not show a dependence
> on 'device eisa', but bt(4) certainly supported EISA cards.

This is handled in the config system. When =91device eisa=92 is omitted, =
the
eisa attachment for bt is omitted. There=92s no bt or buslogic module, =
so
no change is needed to cope there. At this late date, it is doubtful if =
bt/buslogic module would be useful to create=85

Thanks for the review...

Warner