Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 2014 19:45:23 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/169276

On 3/07/2014 7:21 PM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:46:49 +1000 Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>> On 3/07/2014 4:29 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> latest python27 on i386 freebsd10 seems to have reopened bug
>>> ports/169276
>>>
>>> FreeBSD bgpmon0.attn.jp 10.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Jun  3 12:52:18 UTC 2014     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>>>
>>> bgpmon0.attn.jp:/usr/ports/lang/python27# make install
>>> ===>  Installing for python27-2.7.6_4
>>> ===>   python27-2.7.6_4 depends on shared library: libintl.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9)
>>> ===>  Checking if lang/python27 already installed
>>> ===>   Registering installation for python27-2.7.6_4
>>> pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/lang/python27/work/stage/usr/local/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_elementtree.so): No such file or directory
>>> pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/lang/python27/work/stage/usr/local/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so): No such file or directory
>>> *** Error code 74
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/python27
>>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> This looks like it may be the result of fallout from:
>>
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=357486
>>
>> The Python build system is *very* sensitive to environment, make and
>> other build mechanics changes. The ordering of *FLAGS is absolutely
>> required, and in our case needs to be maintained as a workaround to
>> avoid this upstream problem with the bundled expat library.
>>
>> Can you revert the above change and test the build again for us please.
>>
>> CC'ing tijl@ in on this thread for input.
>
> The package builds fine on recent head:
> http://beefy1.isc.freebsd.org/bulk/head-i386-default/2014-06-27_05h00m55s/logs/python27-2.7.6_4.log
>
> Also, there's this command in the build log:
> cc -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic -o python  Modules/python.o  -L. -lpython2.7 -L/usr/local/lib -lintl -lutil   -lm
>
> It is important that -L/usr/local/lib appears after -L. because otherwise
> -lpython2.7 refers to the installed libpython2.7.so instead the freshly
> built one.  This can only be done by adding -L${LOCALBASE}/lib to LIBS,
> not to LDFLAGS.
>
> Can you send me a full build log that shows the problem?

Tijl,

The cause of the module failures was due to a
CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" in /etc/make.conf so that parts all
sorted. This is why we kept the comment in there about using CPPFLAGS vs
CFLAGS (removed in your change)

I understand the rationale for the move from LDFLAGS -> LIBS, but I am
still concerned due to the plethora of flags based issues we've had with
Python in the past

This is especially with regards to the right flags turning up in the
right places for shared extensions (such as within python-config output)
and doubly-so for the substantial number of workarounds that we've had
to retain and maintain locally in the port (see the post-configure and
pre-patch targets for lang/python27 for example)

Thanks for following up

--
koobs