Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:31:39 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9_P=C3=A9rez_Arauzo?= <fbl@aoek.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What do you use for kernel debugging?

> On Sep 28, 2014, at 17:35, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 02:31:25 +0200
> "Jos=C3=A9 P=C3=A9rez Arauzo" <fbl@aoek.com> wrote:
>=20
>> I hope Dcons + 1394 works where it's applicable.
>>=20
>> BR,
>>=20
>> --
>> Jos=C3=A9 P=C3=A9rez Arauzo
>=20
> As a constant user of DCons+firewire, I can say it certainly works, and
> quite well at that.  At least on PowerPC where firewire is everywhere.
> I only wish it were possible to use dcons+firewire even earlier in the
> boot (before the firewire device is probed), maybe initialize something
> in the loader.

It would be nice if both the FireWire and USB subsystems started up sooner. T=
here are other issues (with USB for instance), where ukbd not being initiali=
zed before the mount root prompt can leave the system undebuggable.

In the short term: can the SYSINIT priority be changed in the drivers to sup=
port this?

It would be nice if there was a pluggable infrastructure for bootloader enab=
ling of devices as debugger consoles that would make this possible.

Thanks!
-Garrett=