Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:43:31 +0900
From:      WATANABE Kazuhiro <CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        "A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [x11-wm/fvwm2] Build failure with Clang

Hello.

At Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:30:47 +0100,
A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven wrote:
> Dimitry Andric wrote:
>
> >> now building x11-wm/fvwm2 with Clang fails with a linking error at
> >> FvwmGtk. But with lang/gcc48 it rather strangely builds just fine.
> >
> > I've tried building this port with various options enabled and disabled,
> > but I cannot reproduce your linking errors.  If I would have to guess, I
> > would say that either Fvwm or gtk headers are using inline functions,
> > and are counting on "gnu89" inline semantics.
> >
> > If that is the case, you can try to add the following line to
> > x11-wm/fvwm2/Makefile:
> >
> > USE_CSTD=	gnu89
>
> Thanks, that did fix it.
>
> I still find it puzzling, though. As far as I can tell, the port itself
> hasn't changed except for the Imlib and/or PNG dependencies. And those
> built perfectly fine without USE_CSTD=gnu89. So I'm at a loss as to what
> could have been changed that makes Fvwm2 suddenly require gnu89.

I've encontered the same problem on 10.1-RELEASE/amd64.
Have you installed gtk12 (x11-toolkits/gtk12) on your system?

The previous version of x11-wm/fvwm2 had IMLIB option [1],
and the option was disabled by default.  If the option was disabled,
added "--disable-gtk" to the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable like this:

| .if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MIMLIB}
| USE_GNOME+=     imlib
| .else
| CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-gtk
| .endif

and the FvwmGtk module was not compiled (it requires GTK).

But the latest x11-wm/fvwm2 doesn't specify "--disable-gtk" anywhere.
So if x11-toolkits/gtk12 has been installed to the system,
the configure script detects the library automatically and tries to
compile FvwmGtk.

Would you try to add "--disable-gtk" to the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable?

If you really want to compile FvwmGtk, some fixes will be needed
(library dependency, pkg-plist and USE_CSTD?).  For USE_CSTD,
bsd.gnome.mk says:

| # Set USE_CSTD for all ports that depend on glib12
| .if defined(_USE_GNOME) && !empty(_USE_GNOME:Mglib12)
| USE_CSTD=       gnu89
| .endif

[1] http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/x11-wm/fvwm2/Makefile?view=log#rev375573
---