Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2015 18:20:16 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        arnab bhowmick <arnabbhowmick111@gmail.com>, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Erich Dollansky <
erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:15:16 +0530
> arnab bhowmick <arnabbhowmick111@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi friends i want to buy a laptop. please recommend some brand that
> > can easily install freebsd . please suggest me something(brand) as my
> > old laptop stopped working for shortcircuit and i am in great trouble.
>
> I use an Lenovo X220 with 10.1 since nearly three years.
>
> Be careful with cheaper Lenovos as they have very often hardware which
> is not supported by FreeBSD. A higher end ThinkPad should do.
>
> As Intel's new CPU generation is coming out soon, there might be some
> cheaper options on the older models coming too.
>
> Erich

I second this. I have been using 'T' series and it's predecessors for
almost 20 years with good results. Always running dual-boot Windows and
FreeBSD. T520 for the past three years. Look for supported wireless
cards.That has long been the most difficult issue. Had to replace the
unsupported Realtech card with a supported Intel. Had to have the custom
Lenovo PCI ID version which was 4x the price of the identical card with the
Intel PCI ID.

Many of the FreeBSD developers over the years have run X and T series units
which leads to pretty good support. Booting off of a FreeBSD thumb drive is
always a good idea regardless of what you buy, if possible.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com