Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:32:04 +0100
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On 08.02.2016 02:18, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  7 February 2016 at 12:44:32 +0100, Torsten Zühlsdorff wrote:
>> Hello,

>>> Agreed, the "official" (the term used is "recommended") status is
>>> gone.  But that's a reason to fix the documentation, not remove it.
>>> As I see it, we have three choices, in increasing order of
>>> desirability:
>>>
>>> 1.  Remove all mention of portmaster.  That's what this PR recommends.
>>> 2.  Do nothing.
>>> 3.  Update the documentation to indicate the current status,
>>>       recommending alternatives if possible.
>>
>> Number 4 is missing: find a maintainer for it.
>
> Yes.  It was there in my draft, and I removed it.  It's a separate
> issue: I was asking here about what to do with documentation for used,
> but unmaintained packages.  But you make a good point: if there's a
> lapse in maintainership, and the product then becomes maintained
> again, you don't want to lose the documentation.

There is another point hidden: you don't want to lose the software itself.
At the moment i'm maintaining a greater number of software (also outside
FreeBSD). Every one of it is abandoned but very good. Every one is
feature complete and needs just small fixes for example when the
compiler requires this or a bug is found. Many software get lost (and
later reinvented with all needed maturing) because the author did not
maintain it anymore. While i dislike this kind of work we should be
fair: there is software which fulfill its purpose of its niche and just
need to keep running.

Greetings,
Torsten