Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:08:48 +0800
From:      "Euan Thoms" <euan@potensol.com>
To:        =?utf-8?q?Matthew_D=2E_Fuller?= <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Subject:   =?utf-8?q?Re=3A?= curl and nginx no longer build on same host

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 07:32 SGT, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over=
-yonder.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:44:49AM +0800 I heard the voice of
> Euan Thoms, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Aha, I got ftp/curl to build using WITH=5FOPENSSL=5FPORT=3Dyes. Don=
't know
> > why I didn't try it before, perhaps since it is deprecated.
> >
> > So, I think we need to address some shortcoming in the new macro
> > DEFAULT=5FVERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl.
>
> That seems...  odd.
>
> > DEFAULT=5FVERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl
>
> will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL=5FDEFAULT =
> the value 'openssl'.
>
> Contrarily,
>
> > WITH=5FOPENSSL=5FPORT=3Dyes
>
> will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL=5FDEFAULT =
> the value 'openssl' (unless you've got OPENSSL=5FPORT defined, in whi=
ch
> case it's set to whatever that is) and spit out a warning.
>
> So, unless you're setting OPENSSL=5FPORT, they're doing exactly the s=
ame
> thing (modulo the warning).  If you are (e.g., from using libressl
> instead), you need to set THAT instead of 'openssl' in the
> DEFAULT=5FVERSIONS line.

I'm not setting anything else in make.conf, the jail is otherwise vanil=
la, no hacks etc. In both cases I'm only using openssl, no libressl.

I just noticed that after running make using WITH=5FOPENSSL=5FPORT=3Dye=
s , it builds fine. Then turning the make.conf back to using DEFAULT=5F=
VERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl instead of WITH=5FOPENSSL=5FPORT=3Dyes, it no=
w builds OK. So I did a "make config" and GSSAPI=5FNONE is now set.

After further examiniation, it seems that coincidentally I must have do=
ne a "make rmconfig" before using WITH=5FOPENSSL=5FPORT=3Dyes. The "mak=
e rmconfig" removes my /var/db/ports/ftp=5Fcurl/options and then the ne=
xt time "make" is run the macros in make.conf set GSSAPI=5FNONE.

So, the problem I had was that my existing installation (in a jail) had=
 options set that the make.conf macros were not clobbering. If I had se=
t those make.conf options/macros in the first place, I would not have t=
he said problem. But, the macro did not exist when I did the initial in=
stallation, neither was replacing openssl from base a thing.

Worth noting that I'm pretty sure I never changed any options in ftp/cu=
rl on the initial install (or previous updates via portmaster either). =
So just the fact that I hit enter on the ftp/curl ncurses options scree=
n meant that in future, setting the openssl macros would not take the d=
esired effect.

Tricky one to solve I guess, I wouldn't want a macro clobbering my cust=
om options config either.

--
Regards, Euan Thoms