Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2016 12:59:44 +0200
From:      "Terrence Koeman" <terrence@darkness-reigns.com>
To:        <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'Pawel Jakub Dawidek'" <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: fsck geom geli volume?

[snip]

> Please start by running:
>
> 	# ktrace fsck -t ufs -pf /dev/vtbd1.eli
>
> and see where exactly it is failing and with what error (run kdump and
> look for attempts to open /dev/vtbd1.eli device).

Unfortunately, I don't have KTRACE compiled in on this machine. However, I found that fsck would work when I commented the attempt at mounting & rebooted.

I investigated and I found that when I only run "geli attach" I can run fsck, but when I attach and then try to mount (which fails due to dirty fs) then fsck thinks the fs is read-only. Whether I then detach and attach again doesn't matter, fsck will think /dev/vtbd1.eli is read-only until reboot.

--
Regards,
   Terrence Koeman, PhD/MTh/BPsy

Please quote relevant replies.