Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:44:00 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Guangyuan Yang <yzgyyang@outlook.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

<freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:34:03 AM EDT sVx wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on =
an
>>> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine =
but I
>>> would like to expand the root slice (the only slice) over the full =
disk
>>> space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>>>=20
>>> Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable=3D"YES"' and rebooting =
has no
>>> effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` =
but
>>> growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So =
>>> tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
>>> `nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
>>> keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.
>>=20
>> Can confirm that 'growfs_enable=3DYES' is not working properly on =
RaspBSD.
>> Instead, running a 'service growfs onestart' worked for me:
>=20
> I believe you need to have /firstboot before growfs_enable=3D"YES" =
well
> work for you.  /firstboot is in the rpi images from RaspBSD, but once
> you have booted it the first time that file is wiped.

I suspect this confuses a lot of folks at various times.

Perhaps growfs_enable should print an informative message if it is
not the first boot, such as:

    growfs_enable:  Skipping FS resize, since this is not the first =
boot.
    growfs_enable:  To force a resize:  $ touch /firstboot ; reboot