Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2018 05:20:18 +0000
From:      Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [commercial] sendmail setup request

On 2018-07-08 09:23 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 14:22:14 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> i own a domain (kathe.in) for which email services are provided by the
>> domain registrar itself. email services include imap, smtp and
>> webmail.
>>
>> the problem is that i lean more towards using mailx under bsd and at
>> the same time also wish to have my mails stored online (or rather
>> non-locally).
>>
>> i might be wrong, but i have concluded that the best and also the most
>> economical solution would be to go for either rootbsd or digitalocean
>> using a freebsd instance and run sendmail to provide email services in
>> and out of the instance.
>>
>> and now comes the real bummer, i don't have any idea about how to
>> setup
>> sendmail to allow the above.
>
> I don't want to sound impolite, but did you ask yourself if
> you're asking the right question here? Maybe I didn't fully
> understand your goals, so allow me to ask:
>
> 1. Do you want to stay with your domain provider as the "keeper
>    of the mail" and just want to be able to use xmail instead
>    of a (usually annoying) webmailer?
>
> 2. Are you prepared to run your own mail infrastructure? Do
>    you want to provide the "all and everything" yourself,
>    usually POP3 + SMTP + IMAP + Webmail?
> [snip]

my goals are very basic and hence quite simple.
i should be able to log into the freebsd instance as my username
which would be the same as my email address (mayuresh@kathe.in)
and use mailx to go through my emails.
i don't need imap nor webmail.
i know it must be a simple sendmail setup, but frankly, i'm not
capable enough to understand the in-and-out of sendmail to be
able to configure it to my requirement.

thanks polytropon, and yes, you were not at all impolite. :-)