Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2019 10:24:22 +1000
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS...

Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/
Sent from my iPad

> On 30 Apr 2019, at 03:13, Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
>> I know I'm not going to be popular for this, but I'll just drop it here
>> anyhow.
>>=20
>> http://www.michellesullivan.org/blog/1726
>=20
> With all due respect, I think if that filesystem/server you describe
> has not kept with all those mishaps, I think it's not perfect, but
> nothing is.

The killer was the catalog of errors, where you have resolver in progress, a=
nd not one but two power failures...and just to let you know... one of the 6=
kva upses caught fire the other no longer recognizes AC input... so it was n=
ot your normal event.  I had a good run with 8 years of running ZFS on this s=
erver.

>=20
>> Perhaps one should reconsider either:
>>=20
>> 2. Defaulting to non ZFS filesystems on install.
>=20
> I had more cases of UFS being toast than ZFS until now.

I=E2=80=99ve toasted many, however I=E2=80=99ve always been able to get majo=
rity(if not all) of the data. =20

>=20
>> 1. Looking at tools that may be able to recover corrupt ZFS metadata, or
>=20
> Here I agree! Making tools available to dig around zombie zpools,
> which is icky in itself, would be helpful!

The one tool that I could think would be useful that is denied =E2=80=9Cbeca=
use the data on disk is always right=E2=80=9D is not a fact for zfs, but a z=
fs send with -AAA (like zdb) or a =E2=80=9Czfs walk=E2=80=9D tool that works=
 similar to zfs send but where you can tell it to ignore the checksum errors=
 (particularly in the structures of zfs rather than on the data itself) so y=
ou can send what=E2=80=99s left of your data to another box either in part o=
r fully. Particularly as in my case all the tools tell me all the data is th=
ere and intact and it=E2=80=99s just the metadata that can=E2=80=99t be reco=
vered/repaired.

Regards,

Michelle=