Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2018 07:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 13-CURRENT: several GB swap being used despite plenty of free RAM

> It really isn't

It is all relative.  You have to take into perspective just what it
is your "computing" and how much state it should need to do that
"computation".

Modern systems and software have become very wasteful as memory
was "cheap".  With 10nM getting the better of Intel, and DARPA
pushing towards 5nM the cheapness factor is rapidly erroding.

8GB is a huge amount of memory if I am trying to play astroids
on a 640x480 display, it is a drop in the bucket if I am trying
to do fluid dynamics of a aircraft wing.

> On 19/11/2018 10:24, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >> can go a long way. Having said that, it's been a while since I've had
> >> to do this. The updates made to ZFS ARC and NUMA have allowed me to
> >> rely on the algorithms baked into FreeBSD. My 8 GB systems have
> >> performed rather well.
> >
> > 8GB is LOT LOT LOT of memory.

My diskless boot server laptop is running ZFS and now since updated to
12.0Beta4 NUMA too and is rather happy in its 2GB of memory.  The work
load fits niceless into this footprint.  I probably would not want to
fire up X11 and Firefox as a daily browswer on it, but the fact is it
can also do that without too much pain.