Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2020 16:24:04 +0800
From:      Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org>
To:        Joachim Moskalewski <moskalewski@jmos.net>
Cc:        office@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [LibreOffice] Build fails on up to date FreeBSD 12.1

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 4:07 PM Joachim Moskalewski <moskalewski@jmos.net> w=
rote:

> Hi :)
>
> > > Today I received the quarterly package update for my FreeBSD 12.1.
> > > Until now, after such an update, I manually updated LibreOffice via
> > > ports to bypass the dependency on MySQL of the finished package: I
> > > need MariaDB instead.
> >
> > A quick question here: you're using binary package from the quarterly
> > branch, and what's the ports branch you're using?
>
> =E2=80=A6 the ports have a branch? I thought after a "portsnap fetch upda=
te" it
> is the same on any FreeBSD machine=E2=80=A6 So updating both (ports and
> packages) and a (nearly) empty result on "pkg version -vl '<'" (means
> "your packages are up to date, there's nothing newer in the ports")
> after the quarterly package update should ensure that the ports match
> the package versions.
>
> Anyway, I've set up a virtual FreeBSD via bhyve and compiled
> *everything" out of the source - and got my special LibreOffice version
> without MySQL dependency. So the problem was surely something like "not
> matching version of installed binary packages and ports".
>
> I've often read "don't mix ports and packages", but so far that wasn't
> really a problem to me. That was one seldom case I couldn't easily fix
> by myself - but I fixed it ;)
>
> Thanks for Your reply & much more thanks for Your work on FreeBSD!

Ports does have branch, like src. It's where the quarterly branch built fro=
m:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/

If you're using portsnap, then you're using the head, which is the
source of the latest package branch.

In most of cases, mixing the ports and package shouldn't have problems
unless the special non default combinations of the ports options
haven't not been tested.  After all, packages are just the prebuilt
ports, and might have slight lagged behind due to package building and
distributing.  However, mixing the different branches might cause a
problem in dependency and the ports/package infrastructure.  In the
case you described, you're mixing the ports/packages from quarterly
branch and latest branch.

I do notice that there is a need to be able to select the different
MySQL (or other SQL) clients, but I haven't had time to check how to
doing so.  I will be very happy if anybody can help on this.

Thanks for using, testing and reporting issues in LibreOffice, I'm
working on 6.4 and will post call for testing soon. LO is really a
huge software and I definitely need more hands and eyes on it.

Best,
Li-Wen