Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:03:09 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lessons from the PHP git repo "hack"

On 31 Mar 2021, at 07:58, Felix Palmen <felix@palmen-it.de> wrote:
> * @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> [20210331 07:47]:
>> Which brings me to the reason for this post, as it seems that the
>> ports collection of FreeBSD 13.x will be in the same position, =
running
>> a private git server network and using GitHub as a mirror and I =
wonder
>> if some lessons from php's experience with this should be considered
>> for this setup before it's implemented.
>=20
> Apart from the fact there's only one ports tree=E2=80=A6

How does that make any difference? If someone gains access to the repo =
and makes changes everyone gets this changes.

> I'd say the lesson is keep your systems updated and pay attention to
> keep your credentials safe/secret. I don't see how Github would =
prevent
> such an incident any better.

That is making an assumption that the people running the php git server =
were incompetent, which is not something I am willing to do at this =
point.

--=20
But I been sane a long while now, and change is good.