Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:03:21 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:44:40 -0700
Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org> wrote:

> Remember that Mr. O'Hara-Smith's position is paraphrased exaggeratedly by:
>
> "You should be happy for whatever bits devs give you, absolutely
> forgiving of any mistake they make, and grateful even if they ignore your
> issue. Any other response is rude."

	You missed an important bit. If you want more to happen then pitch
in and help make it happen. That doesn't mean complain that it's not
happening and should be it means doing something real.

	How else should you be when someone does something for free and
gives away the result ? At a free barbecue would you complain that they
didn't have your favourite sauce or might you provide a bottle for others
to enjoy as well ?

> Now I doubt that this viewpoint is shared by everyone else and I doubt Mr
> O'Hara-Smith sees the subtle error in this position when trying to assert
> this is a "community". Still, you work with what you observe not with

	You're only part of a community if you take part in it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>