Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2022 07:42:55 +1300
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's going on with vnets and epairs w/ addresses?

> On 14 Dec 2022, at 20:28, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wr=
ote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Quoting "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org> (from Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:03:42 +=
0000 (UTC)):
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have used scripts like the below for almost a decade and a half
>> (obviously doing more than that in the middle).  I haven't used them
>> much lately but given other questions I just wanted to fire up a test.
>>=20
>> I have an end-November kernel doing the below my eapirs do not come back
>> to be destroyed (immediately).
>> I have to start polling for the jid to be no longer alive and not in
>> dying state (hence added the jls/ifconfig -l lines and removed the
>> error checking from ifconfig destroy).  That seems sometimes rather
>> unreasonably long (to the point I give up).
>>=20
>> If I don't configure the addresses below this isn't a problem.
>>=20
>> Sorry I am confused by too many incarnations of the code; I know I once
>> had a version with an async shutdown path but I believe that never made
>> it into mainline, so why are we holding onto the epairs now and not
>> nuking the addresses and returning them and are clean?
>=20
> Kristof, isn't this (epair destruction in jails) one of the issues you loo=
ked at? Sorry if I remember incorrectly.
>=20
I looked at panics around destroying interfaces and vnets.=20

My speculative guess here is that the jail is hanging around for some reason=
, and that=E2=80=99s causing the epair and address to stick around too.=20

jls -na might confirm or deny that.=20

Br,
Kristof=