Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2023 13:37:40 +0100
From:      Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version of OpenSSH in FreeBSD 14.0

On 28/10/2023 12:42, Roger Marsh wrote:

> Thread you cannot find is:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=169824753806131&w=2

Ah, thanks. I tried the OpenBSD site, but it seemed to require a login.

> On OpenBSD the default for ObscureKeystrokeTiming is on, value 'yes', and it can be turned off, value 'no'.  Intervals can be specified too: quoting OpenBSD 7.4 'man ssh_config' for ObscureKeystrokeTiming "The default is to obscure keystrokes using a 20ms packet interval.".
>
> Disabling fixed the problem.

The default in FreeBSD 14 is for ObscureKeystrokeTiming to be on
as well. I just did an 'ssh -G' and checked that. Am glad I know
about this though, as I know its something to try if I
start seeing issues when I upgrade, so this has been very useful ;)

> Looks like the problem will go away after I upgrade to FreeBSD 14.0.

Hopefuly! Could you run it up on a VM and check ? I never run point
releases, so I will be going to 14-STABLE as soon as 14.0 comes out
so my tests are not on exactly the same thing. But should be close
enough. Am doing another 14 upgrade today on my test machine
to get a minor upgrade to ssh in fact...

-pete.