Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:48:45 -0800
From:      Joe B <jcb2023az@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to get spotify working

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:06:53 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:04:43 -0800, Joe B wrote:
> > So I followed this post
> >
> > https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/watching-spotify-and-listening-to-netflix-in-2023.90695/#post-626065
> >
> > It was asking me a lot of prompts and i was like im just going to
> > see if it works
> >
> > After it failed to compile i was like let me remove it. so i did a
> > make deinstall clean. After about 30 mins i went back to the tty
> > where it was and it was skipping packages that weren't there and
> > eventually i just stopped it. went to startx and i was missing lots
> > of modules. I reinstaled and everything is workinga again exepct no
> > spotify
> >
> > Question is when is it safe to use make deinstall ?
>
> When you are inside the directory of the official port,
> i. e., /usr/ports/<categor>/<port>, that you want to
> deinstall.
>
> See "man 7 ports" for details.
>
> The files /usr/ports/Makefile and /usr/ports/Mk/*
> contain the implementation of "deinstall" at the
> possible locations.
>

> > I was wondering since the forum post had me in 1 directory that
> > wasn't offical is that the reason why it removed stuff at the root
> > level?
>
> That is quite possible. The thread in the web forum
> instructs you to do this:
>
> 	% sudo pkg install chromium # 117.0.5938.149_2 or higher
>
> 	% sudo pkg install foreign-cdm
> 	% sudo sysrc linux_enable="YES"
> 	% sudo service linux start
>
> 	% git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports
> 	% cd freebsd-ports/www/linux-widevine-cdm
> 	% make
> 	% sudo make install
>
> This seems to be relative to your current location
> whatever that might be ($PWD). From that (undefined)
> point, a directory freebsd-ports with the subdirecotires
> www and linux-widevine-cdm will be created. If this
> happens inside /usr/ports (which it shouldn't, as
> it also requires root permissions to write to there),
> a "make deinstall"... well, actually this sounds wrong.
>
> I have no idea what's inside the git repository, so
> any unwanted side effect could be possible, like a
> temporary change to /usr/ports...
>
> If you assume that you run "make deinstall" from the
> /usr/ports/www directory, it will iterate though the
> ports found there and try to deinstall them. If there
> is a /usr/ports/www/linux-widevine-cdm, and you run
> "make deinstall" from there, it will only deinstall
> the linux-widevine-cdm port - of course the official
> version.

Got it

Yea i was like after 20 mins of make deinstallin in the directory i'm in
especially my home folder i'm like it keeps asking me for my root
password ever 2 mins. and it just keeps going and goin. This isn't my
first time on freebsd or linux and i've build some packages before but
nothing like this.

It's ok i've already reinstalled to 14.0-RELEASE and will be cautious
now and also read everything thing when i'm doing it. I got some
feedback here

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/761999

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the response