Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:07:41 +0200
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+freebsd-questions@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] ISP anti-spam

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 07:47:42AM +0200, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

> --On jeudi 4 juillet 2002 10:48 +0930 Brian Astill
> <bastill@sa.apana.org.au> wrote:
>
> > There seems to be a movement among ISPs to "help" us by applying
> > spamassasin  (or similar) to all mail they handle - IN or OUT.
> > Is this an invasion of privacy?
> > Is such behaviour dangerous, in suggesting to political control freaks
> > that  Internet Control is possible and desirable?
> > Would it be MUCH better for all users to be encouraged to use spam
> > filters,  if they wish?
> >
> > What do people think on these and related issues?
>
> I surely prefer spam hi my inbox and delete it manually than loose mail.

That is not the intention of spamassassin at all, spamassassin is a package
which is meant to _ONLY MARK_ spam as being such and leaving it up to the end
user what to do with it (user header/subject/whatever filters)

My opinion is, that ISP's adding spam detection (and/or virus detection for
that matter) are doing a good thing, as long as they leave the actual decision
for deletion up to the end-user.

Just my $.02

--
Nils Vogels		PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:4988WU/6.761yr	--> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

My other computer is your windows box.