Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:40:58 +0100
From:      "Lucas B. Cohen" <lbc@bnrlabs.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatability for various USB 3.0 / PCIe cards ?

On 2012.11.23 22:11, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Well friends, it's that time of year again... yep, it's shop till you drop
> time!
For me it's usually *after* Christmas season, but whatever works :)

> I can't imagine
> that there is really that much different about the pricey ones to make
> them worth the extra money.)
I can imagine it. For a controller, negotiating USB 3.0 / XHCI protocol
with a device is one thing, delivering the expected bandwidth is
another. I've toyed around with enough cheap IDE and SATA adapters to
know it takes more than a logo on the packaging to get decent throughput.

Also, the bus needs to offer enough bandwidth to avoid being a
bottleneck. Theoretical maximum speed for USB3 is 5 Gbits/s, that's a
bit more than 2 PCIe lanes can sustain, so you'll want an adapter than
plugs into a full-sized PCIe connector, unlike the Syba one.

Hope this helps,