Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 15:08:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        gjb@gbch.net (Greg Black), jruigrok@via-net-works.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to close the list?

> > You know that and I know that and probably all the legitimate
> > subscribers to the list know that -- but we're dealing with
> > cretins here, and so we need to take effective steps against
> > them.  I don't want to unsubscribe, but I don't want all the
> > junk either.
>
> I've just blocked them and a few other robot-driven sites who appear
> driven to only increase the problem by generating automated replies.
>
> - Jordan

[ ... ]

> 1. configure all autoresponders to never send anything with
>
> 2. close the list, as it was proposed.

3.	Automatically delete all MIME parts with:

	Which are ever sent via the list software.

4.	Refuse to accept messages with the header:

	(mail from users of Outlook)

[The asterisks are a globbing pattern]

It seems that this Peter person is the guy doing the resending;
we could also just block him, until he upgrades his email client
so that it's no longer vulnerable to this worm (not virus: people
who write antivirus software are so bad with terminology).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.