Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:40:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        "Sam Leffler (at Usenix)" <sam@usenix.org>
Cc:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel 820 RNG

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Sam Leffler (at Usenix) wrote:

> > But, back to the topic.  We have taken the OpenBSD driver for the
> > RNG on the i810 chipset (and some other i8x0 chipsets), and ported it to
> > FreeBSD-4.4.  We made some enhancements to get more of the available
> random
> > data bandwidth.
> >

> I ported the openbsd crypto stuff to -stable for the purpose of making the
> soekris vpn1211 card usable (Hifn 7951).  As part of this I tied the RNG on
> the Hifn to /dev/random; all that was required was to add a call to inject
> the data as entropy (or so I believed).

	Are your diff's available?  We have a handful of idle powercrypt
cards, which are Hifn's IIRC, idle here, and we have boxes without the i810
entropy device on their motherboards.  This would be handy.

	Did you just dump the entropy into the existing entropy pool of the
standard random(4) driver, or does it replace the driver with 100% hardware
entropy?  What kind of entropy bandwidth are you able to get?

cheers,

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com ]