Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:58:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: changes in linux ports infrastructure

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Boris Samorodov wrote:
>>
>>> Dear linux ports maintainers,
>>>
>>> I've just committed a new graphics/linux-f10-libGLU port and
>>> apropriate changes to linux ports infrastructure. I'm going to
>>> commit the following patch which uses the new port and its
>>> infrastructure.
>>>
>>> The main goal is to give users of linux nvidia drivers to use more
>>> recent libGLU packages.
>>>
>>> Those changes do not touch default packages but imho it will be good
>>> to commit the patch before 8.0-RELEASE. Please, give it a try and
>>> submit a followup. Thanks!
>>
>> The patch to games/linux-nwnclient does work.  When you commit it,
>> would you also apply the following patch which helps a bit?  :)  I
>> think it has been broken since March, but I just noticed.
>
> Hm, yes, I see it. I'll move the NVIDIA test down, just before
> PLIST_SUB, if you don't mind (as it is done at other ports).

I do not mind.  Thank you.

>> Two things I have noticed in regard to this port, the Nvidia driver
>> and Fedora 8 or 10 as base:
>> 1. Performance is poor until you change the resolution.  It does not
>>    matter what the starting resolution or the changed resolution is.
>>    Changing back to the starting resolution keeps the good
>>    performance.  This is very odd.
>
> Which video card/driver/dri/linux-dri port are you using?

Nvidia 8800 GTS, nvidia-driver-185.18.31 (same issue with some previous
drivers) and linux-f10-libGLU-7.2.  linux-ut (does not use libGLU) does
not have this issue nor does sauerbraten.

>> 2. The game core dumps upon exit, but I have not had time to look
>>    into this.
>
> Can't say anything about this case.

No problem.  When I get more time, I will try examine it in more detail.
The game plays fine; it is just when exiting.  Same as above where
linux-ut and sauerbraten do not have this issue.

Sean
--
scf@FreeBSD.org