Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:02:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, kedar@asacomputers.com, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TYAN 1668 anyone ??

> > Hmm, I doubt it, I use only prime quality RAM here (because of exactly
> > that reason), and the same RAM works just fine in a 1662 board, which
> > is just as picky...
>
> Actually, and just to note it for the audience, it's easily possible
> to create memory failures using "prime quality" RAM that has been
> tested on a different motherboard.  Mixing RAM from different
> manufacturers, using RAM of the wrong speed or at the wrong voltage
> (in motherboards which allow that degree of configuration), all would
> be possible while meeting the above criteria and all have been
> reported to us as the causes of mysterious hangs, crashes, resets, you
> name it.  Once the RAM was simply swapped or the misconfiguration
> issues dealt with, the system has become a rock of gibraltar in each
> case.  I'm using several 1668 mobos myself, and they work very nicely
> with Matrox cards (yep, there's another variable for you! ;)

Well, I'm using ONLY Hyundai 32M/60ns SIMMs here they are of prime
quality, so I'm sure its not memory related...

Now, I've been running one of these monsters (1668) with the old
Diamond Viper PRO card (remember that Jordan?), and it hasn't had
a hicup for 36 hours !!
The only problem is that I only have an Xinside 1.3 server that
supports that card (remember the 1.1.5.1+ days anyone :) ).

I'll try to get ahold of another more modern videocard that is NOT
S3 based, it seems the 1668 has severe problems with that....