Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:49:02 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Jaeckel Joachim <Joachim.Jaeckel@mgi.de>
Cc:        "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: something like video4linux the 2. (some thoughts...)

Okay, let me try then the subtle and gentle way, =

>FreeBSD video capture device-driver part, it=B4s only for me to gather s=
ome
>information, what would be the best way to implement a new video capture=

>board driver!

If thats what you want then take a look at the bt848 video capture driver=
 which
Roger Hardiman has gone to a  great effort to be easy to understand.

As for the linux apps , so far there is no need to be compatible with the=
and the ones that are out there usually come with sources.

At this stage , I am not interested at all on any low level video capture=
 api
from linux. For starters we don't have many programmers that are
willing to code apps let alone multimedia apps.

The present scenario is more like this:

1. We really need application level engineers to lay the foundation for =

   multimedia applications and to write multimedia applications.

2. We need more low level device driver engineers to code sound drivers
    and video capture device drivers. Once we have the engineers then
     we can decide upon the API bt848 vs v4linux or whatever.

-- =

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com