Date:      Sat, 4 May 2024 09:20:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS property inheritance broken for `readonly`?

------=_Part_211866_1262481256.1714807248522

Van: Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Datum: zaterdag, 4 mei 2024 00:25
Aan: Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
CC: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

> <<On Fri, 3 May 2024 23:55:35 +0200 (CEST), Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws> said:
>
> > How did you mount the fs?
>
> In the normal (completely automatic) way.
>
> -GAWollman

Can you elaborate what the "normal way" is for you?
Is bootfs set to a zfs pool? Is /etc/fstab used for mounting ZFS?
Can you provide some copy-paste of your config?

What I found about the topic:

The "temporary" source of a property is documented for Oracle ZFS, but I doubt OpenZFS changed a Tlot in how this works.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36835/gamnt.html

For openzfs I found this comment:
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/985#issuecomment-27997625

My ZFS pools don't have any property with source "temporary". So my suggestion would be to look into why you do have a "temporary" property. It at least indicates why it is not inheriting the property from the parent. But I'm also not sure if it is the key to the solution.

Regards,
Ronald.

------=_Part_211866_1262481256.1714807248522

&gt; How did you mount the fs?<br>
In the normal (completely automatic) way.<br>
-GAWollman<br>
&nbsp;</div>

<hr></div>
Can you elaborate what the "normal way" is for you?<br>
Is bootfs set to a zfs pool? Is /etc/fstab used for mounting ZFS?<br>
Can you provide some copy-paste of your config?<br>
What I found about the topic:<br>
The "temporary" source of a property is documented for Oracle ZFS, but I doubt OpenZFS changed a Tlot in how this works.<br>
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36835/gamnt.html<br>;
For openzfs I found this comment:<br>
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/985#issuecomment-27997625<br>;
My ZFS pools don't have any property with source "temporary". So my suggestion would be to look into why you do have a "temporary" property. It at least indicates why it is not inheriting the property from the parent. But I'm also not sure if it is the key to the solution.<br>
Regards,<br>
Ronald.<br>
&nbsp;</body></html>
------=_Part_211866_1262481256.1714807248522--