Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 16:09:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Scott Mace <smace@metal-mail.neosoft.com>
To:        gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        smace@metal-mail.neosoft.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl/tk/tclX/dp/incr-tcl/etc

> In message <199504262115.PAA02299@metal.ops.neosoft.com>, Scott Mace writes:
> >What do yall think about integrating all of them into 2 binaries:
> >tcl and wishx.  This is what I (NeoSoft) uses, and is a much more
> >complete environment.
>
> Ask the maintainers of the ORIGIONAL tarballs to do this. Ports is (IMNSHO)
> meant to be a collection of PATCHED sources so that they work on FreeBSD 2.x,
> not a collections of ports of software in the form which we'd like to
> see them. The ports tree is meant to be a small, light set of makefiles,
> patches & support files, which this re-write would certainly not be
> AFAIK.

All it would take to integrate them all is a patch to tclX.
There exists a distribution of everyting integrated, but I thought
it would be silly to download a tarball of everything
when presumably you would allready have all of the individual tar files.
I work with the one of the primary authors of tclX, so its a matter of me
doing it not the maintainers. This will of course all have to wait until we get
a chance to integrate the latest tcl and tk distributions into the
neosoft release.  So if there is an intrest I will do it, otherwise, I'll just
make it available on a per-request basis and in a single tarball format...

Its just a matter of do your just want to have 2 interpreters (one X one text)
or fiddle with a bunch of them depending on what application want to do...

I think alot of people are missing out on the power of the tcl/tk/andfriends
because they are all split up.

	Scott