Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:43:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mysql_upgrade man, and upgrade/install info missing manditory information

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Chris H wrote:

> The -p makes all the difference. But unlike:
> mysql -u root add
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
> The omission of the -p does _not_ provide an informative error, as mysql, and all
> of it's other utilities _do_.
> Please make references to this in both the mysql_upgrade(1) man(1) page && the

mysql is not part of the FreeBSD base system; it is an external piece of
software that is made available through the FreeBSD Ports Collection.

> install/upgrade message emitted at the end of the install/upgrade.
> Additional reference: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=40884

The mysql_upgrade manual page is part of the upstream mysql distribution,
and any changes to it must go through upstream.

The message displayed at the end of the install/upgrade is
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/databases/mysql55-server/pkg-message?revision=311815&view=markup
; you could contact the maintainer (ale@freebsd.org) via PR or directly to
ask about changing that text.

I'm sorry that the forums sent you to a not-quite-correct location for
getting your concerns addressed.

-Ben Kaduk