Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:30:02 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Panic while making buildlernel on RPi3

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 05:36:20PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> > Unfortunately, the crash means that the buffers were not
> > flushed to media when the problem occurred. The build log
> > is incomplete compared to what actually built and where
> > it actually stopped.
> >
> > So I'm not sure how you got:
> >
> > --- ng_pppoe.kld ---
> > ld: error: no input files
> > *** [ng_pppoe.kld] Error code 1
>
> Poorly worded on my part. I mean that I'm not sure how
> you would know it was "in the same place" when you
> re-ran.
>
> > When I looked at the buildkernel.log file provided,
> > it stopped without such:
> >
> > --- all_subdir_netgraph ---
> > Building /usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/netgraph/pptpgre/ng_pptpgre.o

Apologies for the ambiguity!

After the panic I simply re-ran the original buildkernel command, which furnished the
added output and then stopped in _roughly_ the same place. It didn't panic, and maybe
the panic was unrelated to the error. I've tried hard to _make_ the machine panic,
using stress2, and failed.

Perhaps more curious, I subsequently ran a make -j4 buildkernel with no
extra options and it completed successfully. It's rebooted now and seems
to work no worse than lately. It still displays the strange ping behavior,
answering a few percent of incoming pings  unless an outbound ping is running.
Then it answers maybe half of pings. That seems to allow enough network access
to permit ssh and git to function, with a sort of stutter.

I've been using -DWITH_META_MODE as a default setting for buildworld and
buildkernel. Might this be part of my  problems with the Pi3's ?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska