Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:50:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@xtalwind.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Additional pop accounts - how?

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> > A 'bug' in popper allows users with an invalid shell entry in
> > /etc/master.password to log in for mail.  We set up email only accounts by
> > setting the home directory and shell entry to /nonexistent  They can send
> > and receive mail but that's all they can do.
>
> Or if you use the pop server from the MH source tree you can use a
> different password file which is only for POP users, and still have
> normal users get their mail over POP.

We had considered something along those lines but we have somewhat of an
unusual setup here, and already have two password files, of sorts.  We're
running TSX-BBS on two boxes that basically function as terminal servers.
We don't offer unlimited access, other than dedicated lines, but rather
11, 35, or 250 hrs./month.  TSX does an excellent job of dealing with
tracking usage, billing (with software we wrote), preventing multiple
logins on the same account, etc.  And it's a nice shell for the few
2400bps folks, and that one 1200bps guy.  Each user also has an account on
our main unix box (BSDi :( ), which serves as our mailhost and web server
for our user's pages, with a public_html under their home directory.  We
allow a total of up to three e-mail addresses per account so while I was
hacking adduser to create ~/public_html it was a simple matter to add "Is
this a secondary e-mail account? [no] " right after collecting the gecos
info.  A yes responce sticks in /nonexistent then skips right to
displaying their data and asking add this user ......

I've got the "buggy" qpop source tared and hidden away on three different
machines just in case an upgrade /fixes/ it.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD