Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 1997 15:23:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu (Red Barchetta)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS binary support for FreeBSD

Red Barchetta stands accused of saying:
> Is anyone currently working on adding DOS binary support to FreeBSD?  If
> not (hell, even if so!) I am interested in taking a shot at this project.

Before you get too carried away, grab
 ftp://gsoft.com.au/pub/doscmd/doscmd_fbsd-970228.tar.gz
and join the emulation mailing list.  Patches (even bug reports) are
welcome.

> If anyone can give me some suggestions regarding the specifics involved in
> this task (i.e. what must be done at the system level to allow a DOS
> program to run under FreeBSD) and maybe some references to relevant
> materials (online or offline), it would be much appreciated.

Read the archives of the emulation list 8) At a bare minimum, you want
a 486 reference manual and a copy of Ralf Brown's Interrupt List.

> look through the code for the "PCEMU" port, but I imagine it won't be of
> *too* much use since its main purpose appears to be to emulate DOS on
> non-Intel architectures.

PCEMU doesn't emulate DOS at all, it emulates the PC hardware and
allows you to run DOS.  DOScmd can do that, or it can emulate DOS
(reasonably well) for the purpose of running a single DOS binary
(eg. an assembler or compiler).