Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Questions

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, cliff ainsworth III wrote:

> My system configuration consists of an Intel pentium pro 200, 32 megs of
> ram, number nine 128 bit video card, 3.5 inch floppy drive three eide
> hard drives-- a 2 gig and two 4 gigs. teac cd-rom and an exabyte tape
> drive. The following OSes are installed NT 4.0, NT 4.0 Server, Windows
> 95.

What's the Exabyte attached to?

> my physical drives are partitioned as

I'd like to know the actual disks these lie on since I've completely
forgotten the DOS drive letter conventions.  It would also be helpful to
know which controller(s) these are attached to and the respective
partition type(s).

>              C:  my original 2 gig hard drive
> 	 D:  a 2 gig partition that is primary on the first added hard drive
> 	 E:  a 2 gig partition that is secondary on the first added hard drive
> 	 F: a  2 gig partition that is primary on the second added hard drive
> 	 G: a 2 gig partition that is  secondary on the second added hard drive
> 	 H: cd-rom drive

> We want to install FreeBSD on "D" drive. Is there anything we should be
> worrying about with the "E" Partition?.

I don't know.  That type of "partition" is "D"?

The outputof the DOS FDISK command would be helpful here in figuring out
just where everything is.

> Also if we partition "D" into anything, "E" through "H" designations
> will suffer....that will present a number of problems. "D" is completely
> empty. G drive however only has 100 megs or so of programs on it. We
> could dump that stuff to "D" and make the "G" drive empty.

As long as these are separate slices since freeBSD requires a totally
unallocated slice below 500mb.  If they are in the middle of extended
partitions you wil lneed FIPS or Partition magic to split them.

> Any suggestions??  We want to do this correctly and would rather not
> have cheesy short-cuts that might come back and bite us later.

Please be very specific with your disk layout and I can help you more.

> Other than that, we would like to become a mirror site for the download
> stuff and any text info.

No problem there.

> multimedia content/website creation/host. We went to the Beyond HOPE
> convention last weekend and have decided on FreeBSD. The question of the
> day is, what is the best equipment to run it on? What would be your
> dream system to run it on.? As this is a business plan we want to able
> price out the absolutely best equipment for this......

Except for more memory, the machine you've described would be more than
sufficent for starters.