Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:47:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: umount: Fatal Trap 12:

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Jason Wells wrote:

> I use 2.2.2R, Pentium 100, 48MB ram, and IDE drives.
>
> Upon umounting either my CDROM or my floppy I receive
>
> Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> First. How do I capture these panic strings to a file before the system is
> rebooted? Is such a thing possible considering that the system has lost
> control of it's sphincter?

Or you're forgetting to `umount' devices before removing them?  Or using
the -f flag when you shouldn't?

> I read something about dumping the core but reading a core dump sounds like
> it is way beyond my ability. What advice have you about saving core dumps?

A core dump is for a specific program that dies; you're thinking of a
crashdump.

> What is kernel mode?
>
> What is page fault?

Take a course on Operating Systems if you get the opportunity.  Very
informative. Lots of the junk in the manpages and other system output
actually start to make sense. :-)

> To umount the drive I have used umount /dev/yada and umount /mnt_point for
> the CDROM and the floppy with same result for all four combinations.

Did mount register that the disk was dismounted?  Was there any system log
entries?

> Am I doing something wrong at mount time? Am I doing something wrong at
> umount time?

Post the command(s) used and the full panic output (yes all the funny
numbers) and we'll take a look at it.