Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:28:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Upgrading for idiots?

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> >I've done 5 or 6 upgrades the same way without any adverse effects.  Later
> >this week, I'll do another round of 4 or so, bringing machines from 2.1.5
> >to 2.2-960801-SNAP up to 2.2-RELEASE, as soon as it stabilizes.
>
> The first few upgrades I tried were dismal failures, something with
> sysinstall, which seems to have been fixed.

Perhaps.  sysinstall for the pre-2.2 series was pretty solid though.  It
sounds like our little crew here won't be all together to do the upgrade
for a while, but if we find anything tweaky, Jordan will be the first to
know :)

> OK, but I would imagine that it would be a good idea to recompile some of
> the packages, unless there is a new version.  Some standard things I do as
> a package, usually from sysinstall.  Others have been customized, so I keep
> the source out of the way of upgrades.

True.  I generally consider packages separate from the rest of the system.
I certainly wouldn't want to force on upgrades to anyone -- we run some
pretty old stuff on resnet, and if it was auto-upgraded we'd be in
trouble.

> >We've gone to the pain of doing this for you -- unless you have need to
> >build from edited source, save yourself and your computer some aspirin.
>
> Uh, no.  Not really.  8-)

Can you elaborate?  I could use some education on "when to build and when
to install" since I don't do builds because of lack of disk.

> Sounds just like the upgrade to either 2.1.5(6?) and having to redo a
> half-dozen files in /etc and I don't see this as a problem.  What I do have
> a problem with is the default mode for skeykeys, which should be treated
> just like master.passwd and spwd.db.  Once it is set it doesn't get
> changed, but I do chmod a lot of things that users should not have execute
> rights for, let alone read.  Easy enough to script this out.

The new installer doesn't even touch /etc, so any customizations are
preserved.  You'll still want to merge across sysconfig, otherwise you'll
get odd ipx messages because of some new directives added to sysconfig.
If an item is missing from sysconfig, the results are somewhat undefined,
usually the missing item will be activated.