Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:40:53 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Steven Harris <steve@playgal.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet and SYN problem

It sounds like the machines your trying to contact are trying to do a reverse
DNS check (common on FreeBSD where most places run a small utility called 'tcp
wrappers')...

This is where the server will first try to lookup your machine's IP address
(reverse DNS) - then it will lookup the name that results - and make sure the
IP addresses match...

If they don't, or it can't - it kicks you out... (hence the delay while all
the DNS lookups happen)...

Check on your system (by using nslookup) that your system can resolve it's own
address, and name (and that some other nameserver on the net can) - and also
check with your ISP that they do provide for reverse DNS addresses for their
address space...

Regards,

Karl

Should give you '