Date:      5 Feb 1999 14:41:35 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        pgervais <pgervais@glen-net.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP support

In nlc.lists.freebsd-questions you wrote:
> Seen in FAQ that Smp support was stable since 3.0.

Yep.

> Have critical project soon. First crack with FreeBSD.
> Need to have a recommendation from knowledgeble users as to which
> motherboard works best with FreeBSD which provides SMP support for
> Pentium II chips at 450 Mhz? I'm looking for a rock solid
> match between FreeBSD and motherboard.

Did have SMP working a treat a couple of weeks ago. This is on an older
Tyan Tomcat dual Pentium board. Then last week I updated my source
and rebuilt the system. The new SMP kernel couldn't stay up longer
than a couple of minutes. Then I built a non-SMP kernel and it's fine.

If I absolutely needed SMP I would stick with 3.0-RELEASE as found
on the CDROM (or a -SNAP made before the middle of January), or wait
awhile until it's working again. Howeber it may be related to my hardware
and it may be rock solid for you. I have Adaptec 27something PCI SCSI,
IDE drives, NE2000 PCI network, 128MB RAM.

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NHJ NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |