Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:43:58 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: safe protocols to eat via ipfw

On Fri 1999-11-12 (11:14), Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Apart from dropping spoofed addresses, what ICMP types do people generally
> block at their borders ?  I noticed a lot of redirects coming at my dialups
> this morning from the outside world....
> is  deny icmp from any to any in recv <external interface> icmptype 5
> a good thing to do ? Does it break anything ?

This ins a nice friendly world would be used by a router to tell you things
have moved around, and that another router should be used instead, due to it
havng a better path.  However the reality of the net today is that it isnt a
all together friendly place.  Some of these icmp redirects coule be valid
others howver could be malicious in nature.  My suggestion would be to kill
it off ( maybe with a log option) and see what happens, possibly just deny
it for dialup users.

Another ICMP type that I've seen abused is the ICMP type 3 ( destination
unreachable).  The most common implementation of this abuse that I've come
across is on IRC where users are 'nuked' with a faked ICMP unreachable
message for the server , and the server recieves a similar spoof. , the net
result being a disconnection of the user from the server. According to
Steven's TCP/IP book , there are 15 codes falling under ICMP type 3.
Killing this could enhance your security, but would almost certianly start
causing problems with hosts that really are unreachable, instead of an ICMP
message being returned, the TCP connection would just have to timeout.

Again , this could be something you could consider just implementing for
your dialups.

Non of the other ICMP codes look too problematic ( Router
soclicitation/advertisement type 10 and 11 - maybe although I'm not sure how
much this is used anymore).

Barry