Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:22:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WD Driver Errors??

> > Can anyone tell me specifically what this is telling me??  It's a brand new
> >HD, and I am wondering if something is wrong with it.  Any help with tracking
> >this down would be appreciated.  FYI, this is the most current version of 3.4
> >STABLE as pulled via CVS yesterday..
>
> What flags are you using in your kernel for the controller ?  Also, post a
> dmesg to the list detailing the hardware you are using (e.g.
> dmesg | grep wd)
>
> 	---Mike

 Mike, thanks for the really fast reply, didn't think it would even make
it to the list that fast.. :)

 As per your request, here is what I have in the kernel config file for
the machine, which is close to the defaults with the small exception that
the one gentleman who works for me happened to connect and load the drive
on the 2nd IDE channel so I just left it that way.  Hopefully that doesn't
hurt anything, and if so, can I get it back on the primary channel?

KERNEL CONF:

# IDE controller and disks
options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

config          kernel  root on wd2

DMESG:

wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC WD102BA>
wd2: 9779MB (20028960 sectors), 19870 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wd2: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0)
wd2: wdtimeout() DMA status 4

 I think that covers your questions, but if I missed anything just let
me know and I will get the information back to you.  Also FYI, the system
is an Abit BP6 board with two Celeron CPU's installed and 256M of RAM..

---
Howard Leadmon - howardl@abs.net - http://www.abs.net
ABSnet Internet Services - Phone: 410-361-8160 - FAX: 410-361-8162