Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:24:16 +0100
From:      Helmut Wirth <hfwirth@teleweb.at>
To:        Arabian <Arabian@DAL.NET>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P III 500

Arabian wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to know if you tested P III 500 with 2.2.8-STABLE or
> 3.1-STBBALE is it ok and no problems ?
>
> Also I would like please to know the best Motherboard for FBD and the best
> SDRAM chips.
>
> Your help appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Abdullah

I have a PIII 500 for about two weeks. I use an ASUS P2B Motherboard and
everything works fine (Win98 and FreeBSD-3.0-RELEASE). FreeBSD has not
yet
support for the PIII, ie. you cannot use the new SIMD instructions,
because
it does not recognize the PIII and it does not save the new registers.
As long as you don't use software specifically for the PIII, this is not
a problem. (FreeBSD-current seems to recognize the PIII, I will upgrade
soon). For 2.2.8-STABLE I don't know, but 3.1-STABLE will work for sure,
at
least in the way mine does. Other than the new SIMD instructions the
PIII
is equal to the PII.

Which SDRAM chips are best depends on the motherboard, I use normal
PC-100
SDRAMs.
--
Helmut F. Wirth