Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:52:53 +0300
From:      Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kexec  or similar for FreeBSD

On (21/06/2011 16:05), Warner Losh wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:

> >> What were your goals beyond booting a new kernel? I think getting back
> >> to a known BIOS state is kinda required to get a kernel through the boot
> >> process. From what I can tell the main goal of kexec is to avoid the process
> >> of re-initializing the hardware via BIOS.
> > Yes it's required to be able load device drivers once again. I had to
> > get back BIOS USB support, both USB HID devices and USB mass storage
> > access with int 13h. Which is not documented by BIOS vendors. So
> > decision was made not to boot full OS, but to extend loader and boot
> > FreeBSD kernel only if necessary rebooting afterwards.
>
> Well, if it is really kexec, wouldn't the kernel be able to use its
> drivers to load the stuff, rendering the BIOS state irrelevant?  Or
> were you kexecing /boot/loader, which would be a lot harder...
The project I've mentioned was about implementing a solution similar to
kexec-loader, it boots Linux kernel and uses kexec to boot another
loader or Linux kernel. Linux kernel execution starts in real mode(!)
unlike FreeBSD. The project was very different from FreeBSD-kexec I
describe. I'd like to avoid running /boot/loader booting FreeBSD kernel
directly and to use full-fledged OS to load new kernel and modules.

http://www.solemnwarning.net/kexec-loader/