Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:37:56 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best software for managing multiple freebsd & linux machines ?

On 10/10/21 15:26, Russell L. Carter wrote:
> I use a single machine to keep host specific files git vc'd,

One Git project per host, or one Git project for everything?

> and then I just write scripts

What scripting language(s)?

> for tasks and rsync them over and execute them from the config box via ssh.

So, the configuration of each host is determined by installation (e.g.
full configuration) followed by a sequence of task scripts (e.g.
differential configuration)?

What if a script fails?

Rollback?

Idempotentcy?

Do you record what scripts have run for each host, and the outcome?

How do you determine the configuration of a host at some point in the past?

What if you perform configuration tasks by hand?

David