Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:04:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        arver@sn.no (Arve Ronning)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R & ATAPI CDROM Problems

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Arve Ronning
had to walk into mine and say:

> Thanks Jan, I *did* get your response. It just took me a while
> to do the actual patching & testing. Following your advice, I
> send the results to Bill Paul who wrote:
>
> > Tonight I blew a few hours playing with the ATAPI support. The result
> > was the small patch appended to this message, which seems to make the
> > detection of ATAPI devices happen much more reliably. This patch is
> > for 2.2-current.
>
> So Bill, I applied your patches by hand since I only have 2.1.5R.
> Hopefully, this is what you would expect :

[chop]

Unfortunately, I too had trouble with 2.1.5 and IDe CD-ROMs. (I also
had trouble with 2.1.5 and 3c509B ethernet cards and yes I got the
patched version. Unfortunately, the card stops working after trasnfering
a few hundred Kbytes from the FTP server during the install. Just my
luck: two lemons in one go.) Only the latest 2.2 SNAP was able to
properly deal with all my hardware correctly. I didn't diff the two
sets of sources to see what changed (there's quite a bit, if you
count the DEVFS junk).

> Compared to the original 2.1.5R kernel this did not change the behaviour
> of the system at all (which I did not expect it to, except may be the
> extra inb()) :
>
> - The probes still said
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL1080A>
> wd0: 1039MB (2128896 sectors), 2112 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <ST3250A-XR>
> wd2: 204MB (417792 sectors), 1024 cyls, 12 heads, 34 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
> wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable
> tray
> wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked
>
> - doing 'mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt' still responded
> mount_cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Device not configured

I presume this was with a CD in the drive, right? Hm. Puzzling.

> No testing was done on other IDE configurations like removing
> wd2 (which holds the /var partition; will it boot without /var ?)

Into single user mode, yes. But don't go to that trouble: it should
work as it is.

> or moving wcd0 to wdc0 unit 1. The good news is that the patch does not
> seem to break anything, at least not with my configuration. Although
> I can't be too sure since I can't mount wcd0.

Well, my problems had to do with the controller. If I had the drive
jumpered as a master (alone on the controller), the probe would decide
that there was actually no controller there. With the drive jumpered
alone as a slave, the disk probe would find a phantom wd2 drive (and
the system would wedge if you tried to access it.

I suspect your problem is specific to your drive. The only IDE CD-ROMs
I have access to are either TOSHIBA or MITSUMI and they all work. Hitachi
may have done something creative with the spec with regards to their
drive.

I would suggest downloading a copy of the latest 2.2 SNAP boot floppy
and booting your system with it as a test. If the boot floppy finds
your CD-ROM (and doesn't produce the 'unknown media' message) then
I would say you should try merging changes from the 2.2 driver back
into the 2.1.5 driver.

> I hope this will serve as a small contribution towards your need
> for testing the patches. If you want me to try out different IDE
> configurations, please send some advice on moving /var to wd0.
>
> Arve

The only reason I got a bee in my bonnet over this in the first place was
so that I could show that FreeBSD worked nicely with all the new machines
the multimedia network lab bought whereas Linux didn't (support for SMC
tulip chip-based cards is poor, it would seem). :) The CD-ROM drives
didn't work as I expected, and I had one of the machines all to myself
for the night, so I sat down with the kernel sources and got lucky.
Device driver programming is really not my forte, and lately I've been up
to my ears in NIS+ work. (Yes, I'm still working on libnisdb. Yes I'm
making good progress. No, I'm not ready to release the code yet: it's
still not faster than the Sun implementation. (As fast maybe, but not
faster.) Yes, databases suck.)

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."