Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:59:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        James Mansion <james@wgold.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java binary support in FreeBSD ...

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, James Mansion wrote:

> Mark Mayo wrote:
> > Why bother??? It's not so hard to type 'java Class'......
> > I like my users to be aware that they are running through an interpreter,
> > and that there are command line options to the interpreter.
>
> I can't imagine why anyone would take this view personally.

I can't either, now that I think about it :-)

Of course, shell scripts are the best example. I would truly consider it a
pain in the ass if I had to type "sh script" everytime..

The only think that makes java different is that the 'binary' is a
bytecode file - and it normally has the extension .class. Take for example
I had a class called Mark.class; naturally, I would want to run 'Mark'. So
the kernel needs to recognize that I really mean I want the interpreter to
run 'Mark.class'. I gather this is possible with sysctrl..

For now, I think we should wait until the JDK 1.1 stuff stabalizes, and
then look into it. Also, as the kernel threading in 3.0 comes along, and
the re-entrant libraries are finished up, it should be possible to do a
really nice port of the JDK - better than Solaris's perhaps?!

-Mark

> A program is a program is a program.
>
> If I run a program, I don't care to know what language it is implemented
> in.
>
> UNIX gets this right with its shell scripts.
>
> Even VB gets this right!
>
> It doesn't make sense (to me) to require the use of a
> shell script wrapper that will then start the program
> under the interpreter.  How kludgy - inconvenient and
> expensive at runtime.
>
> As for wanting to know that they are using an interpreter, well, why,
> apart from the very occaisonal case where you want to supply arguments
> to it?  Most arguments go to the app, after all.  And must Java runtimes
> are or soon will
> be JIT based, and its not as if there is an efficiency issue
> that users might wish to be aware of.
>
> James

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer