Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

 * Heh - actually, I also forgot to mention that the whole rc.d script
 * thing has some inherent limitations as currently implement: What if,
 * for example, you require that certain initialization be done in a
 * given order?  Not at all a far-fetched scenario.

They are run in alphabetical (actually shell globbing) order -- that's
why modula-3 installs one with digits in front (you need the shared
libraries to be added before you start cvsupd, for instance).

We're not saying that that is a perfect mechanism, but I have yet to
see a real world example of why it doesn't work.  Besides, we're not
talking about how to handle automatic startup scripts now (we've gone
through that one already) -- it works pretty well for adding shared
library paths, and that's all that this is about.

Satoshi