Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 21:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Phill Clarke <pclarke@apnpc.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Newbie Question

hi Phill,

"If you wish to switch between multiple operating systems on your
machine, or if you are trying to install FreeBSD on a drive other than
your 1st drive, then you must install a boot manager.  In the case
where you wish to boot off an alternate drive, it should also be noted
that you still need to install a boot manager on the FIRST drive!
Even if you do not intend to create a FreeBSD partition on that drive
(e.g. it's being wholly used by something else), the boot manager
still needs to reside on the first disk in order to function as a
"redirector" for the boot process.

To do this, simply select your 1st drive in the drive selection menu
and when the partition editor comes up, don't make any changes - just
(Q)uit.  At the boot manager menu which follows, select the first
option (install a boot manager) and then proceed to setup the other
drive(s) for FreeBSD as normal."

				clipped from /stand/help/drives.hlp.gz

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Phill Clarke wrote:

> Being very new to FreeBSD and Unix in general I have what may be a
> farely obvious question.
>
> I have installed FreeBSD on a second hardrive, using the whole disk,
> with no DOS partition. The install appeared to work fine. But I must
> have made errors when selecting the boot manager, because I cannot boot
> the second drive (no boot manager appeared).
> Is there any way to install a boot manager now without having to install
> the whole OS again ?
>
> If not, perhaps I need some help with installing the boot manager.
> I selected the option for installing the boot manager on ws1, then when
> asked which drive I would like to install it on I selected ws0. Nothing
> happened.
Yes, I'm pretty sure he means wd too.

This is simply asking another question for Phill

Can he re-enter the boot floppy and setup the bootmanager as decribed
above? -- I seem to remember doing this once after my mbr was overwritten.

> Any hints and suggestions please ?
>
> Phill

   "quod nibil illi deerat ad   |  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
    regnandum praeter regnum"   |    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |