Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 08:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Obi Wan Oblivion <vdk@logrus.mv.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target - enough already!

So we have passed the name of this organization around on this list at
least two dozen times.  We have sent at least twice that many messages
about this spammer on this list.  Boy, if they wanted exposure they sure
as heck got it.  Of course, we've probably wasted ten times more
bandwidth complaining about the spammer than those first few messages
used, but hey, at least we're showing em! =)

I have a simple, but functional form letter that I send in response to
any unsolicited junk email.

FOLLOWS:

Please take my email address and any addresses pointing to users at
"myhost.myisp.com" or any host or user within the "mydomain.com" domain
off of your mailing list or lists.

I have included the message that you sent to me for your reference.

Thank you.

----------------

I usually send this to the spammer and root/postmaster/operator of the
spammer's host.  It isn't Pulitzer stuff, but it appears to work.
Incidently, I've heard rumors of a law being drafted against unsolicited
email, much like many states now have against unsolicited faxes.  Perhaps
the first good peice of cyber-legislation to be considered by the US.

Cheers!

And now, a random sampling from Fortune Cookie
WE'RE GOING TO THROW THE MX AWAY AFTER WE BUILD IT.  The MX is really
[Don't tell anybody!] just a "bargaining chip" in the nuclear-arms-
reduction talks with the Russians.  See, we have a problem with the
Russians.  They look at our leaders and they see, for example, George
Bush, who is really a fine and brave man but who happens to have this
unfortunate physical characteristic whereby when he talks he sounds as
though he just inhaled a helium party balloon.  If he ever becomes
President, the Russians will deliberately create nuclear crises just so
they can gather around the Hot Line with refreshments and listen to
George talk.
		-- Dave Barry, "At Last, the Ultimate Deterrent Against
		   Political Fallout"